Cuore di Marchesa is a recently-born project of Pietro Di Giovanni and Gina di Marco, together with their young daughters Carola and Lea. Originally from Mazara del Vallo in the province of Trapani and son of three generations of winemakers, Pietro boasts long experience as a consultant oenologist for various well-known Sicilian and Italian wineries, and was co-founder and source of inspiration of the Etna Nord Producers project. A profound connoisseur of the Etna area, to which he moved in 1991, he decided in 2016 to start bottling his own wine, using exclusively his own grapes.

The Cuore di Marchesa vineyards extend four hectares on the northern side of Etna, in Solicchiata, a hamlet of Castiglione di Sicilia. The plants are 70% Nerello Mascalese plus a small part of minor varieties such as Minnella Nera and Nerello Cappuccio and the remaining 30% Carricante with small percentages of minor varieties, such as Grecanico, Minnella Bianca and Inzolia. They are all free-standing secular viiti aged between 90 and 100 years. Thanks to the position and altitude (750 meters above sea level), strong temperature variations between day and night are generated in the months of July and August, essential for the grapes to be particularly rich in aromas and acidity. All field treatments respect organic principles, supported by some sustainable practices such as green manure and organic fertilization.

Wines/Tasting Notes:

Etna Bianco: A single-vineyard field blend that consists of (95% carricante with small amounts of catarratto and minella) that comes from a .5 ha, centenarian vineyard located in Castiglione di Sicilia. Elevated in a combination of stainless steel and amphora, the resulting wine is exuberant, golden hues that announce a wine with great energy, freshness, and minerality. Just 1300 bottles produced annually.

Etna Rosso: Cru Nerello Mascalese from Pietro Di Giovanni’s Contrada La Marchesa (2 ha in Castiglione di Sicilia) whose ancient albarello vines that have 125+ years of age. Expect an elegant palate that is reminiscent of Quantico’s silky mouth-feel, but one that isolates the Nerello Mascalese grape for a unique take on Etna Rosso.

Annual Production: 12,000 bottles
Varietals planted: Nerello Mascalese, Nerello Cappuccio, Minella Nera, Carricante, Catarratto, Inzolia, Minella Bianca
Soil Composition: Basalt/Sand
Vined surface area: 4 ha
Trellising system: Albarello/Cordone Speronato/Guyot
Vine age: 5-100 years
Method: Organic farming with some biodynamic methods
Certifying body: N/A